Monday, March 29, 2010

Q&A: Eric Knight

I've had the pleasure of getting acquainted with Eric Knight through facebook. He's not only a truly sincere and kind person but doubles as an amazing singer-songwriter musician! His striking sound and truly original songwriting is bound to captivate. I was really excited to be able to do an interview with him and get in-depth details on his music and personal tastes.

By: Sarah Rocks

Q: First and foremost, how are you?

EK: I'm doing fantastic. How about yourself? Actually extremely busy but in a good way!


Q: You're a crazy awesome musician with a style all your own. How would you describe your sound?

EK: It's a special blend kinda like Starbucks. My sound is rooted in Rock ultimately. This new record has a retro yet modern sound to it if that makes any sense? Eric Knight New Wave Chai Latte as I like to call it.

Q: What kind of musical endeavors are you currently working on? Anything top secret with anyone we know?

EK: Well I always have a million projects going on at the same time. I am working on a project now that is very top secret. It's codename is SYNERGY. Currently I am developing a new entertainment company that has a new unique business model that I think is going to revolutionize the way we do business in both the music and entertainment industries. I am working with some big names in the industry and I am extremely excited about it. Basically, I want to create the next Google, Microsoft, Apple inc. of the entertainment industry. Pretty ambitious.

Q: All the guitar nerds and techies out there are wondering what equipment do you use?


EK: LOL! Ummm I literally plug straight into my amp no effects or fancy gadgets but my wah wah pedal. My amp is a Peavey Classic 100.



Q: Who would you love to work with in the future?

EK: Musically: Daniel Lanois, Brendan O'Brien, U2, Earth Wind & Fire too many more to mention. Others would be mostly people that aren't alive anymore: Albert Einstein, Walt Disney.



Q: Rolling Stone described the last decade in music as a "letdown". Would you agree? What would you like to hear more of or less of this decade?


EK: I would agree to a certain extent. There will always be exceptions that in this past decade there were some exceptional bands but for the most part it was absolute crap! The majors continue to homogenize music more and more to the point that now "autotune" has actually become part of the song, it's INSANE!
I would like to hear more great songs period. Well written well sung songs. And I would like it to get back to development of the artist.


Q: We've noticed your personal style is that of a gentleman. How very fashion forward of you! We must ask why the suit and tie?

EK: I just like what I like. I don't know about how fashion forward I would consider myself. I'm definitely not in the Lady Gaga realm of fashion although I appreciate it.
As far as the suit and tie goes. This new album Delusions Of Grandeur (shameless plug) that I have been working on for what seems like forever now is kinda a homage to the sounds of the 80's. It has a retro yet modern sound as I mentioned before but yet for some reason still sounds like me. They are short, catchy and to the point. So the suit and tie was kind of a reflection of that sound.




Q: Do you have a fave designer? If so, who and why?

EK: Actually I love Armani because of their suits and the way they are cut. Also I love H&M. That's all I practically wear now. I think their stuff is cool and really affordable. H&M ROCKS!!!

Q: I hear about you traveling quite often. Where's your favorite place to visit?

EK: Well just got back from Maui and that was AMAZING! Now I see why people never want to come back from Hawaii. It's truly amazing. I would also say Europe when I performed in France. Can't wait to go back this year.

Q: How do you feel about astrology, numerology, tarot divining & psychics?

EK: Actually that's interesting that you would mention that. I am very into Astrology, Numerology & the Tarot. I've done my share of Psychics in my day as well too. I believe we all have this connection and that all these different outlets connect us. I have a song that I am writing titled "11:11" dealing with how a very special person connected me to that number. I see it everywhere. You should look it up, fascinating stuff.

Q: You're becoming quite a musical sensation! Have you ever had that moment come over you where you thought "Wow.. This is all really happening."? Describe!

EK: Well I don't know about the musical sensation part LOL! I feel like I have been working really hard to get to where I am currently at. I'm very happy so far but I feel that I am just scratching the surface. I've always said I'm running a marathon and not a race. I am just hitting my stride, I believe, as a songwriter and my best songs have still yet to be written.

Q: Any under the radar artists you highly recommend we check out?

EK: Ignacio Val is an artist that I have been working with for the past year or so. He is a Latin rock artist that is about to explode. A star in every sense of the word. I am very excited to be working with him and can't wait for the rest of the world to hear him.

Q: Care to share any tips or advice to budding musicians seeking out a career in music?

EK: Educate yourself and learn everything you can about each side to the business. It's no longer about just writing the music. You have to wear a million different hats in this industry. Knowledge is truly power!

Fun Facts:

Hometown: Hialeah, Florida (LOL) I know don't make fun

Fave pick-me-up when feeling down: Reading

Celebrity Crush: Zoe Saldana

Greatest fear: Failure

Turn offs: Liars

Thing that relaxes you the most: Being surrounded by family and friends


We here at TBB are looking forward to seeing and hearing plenty more from Eric in the future! For more info on Eric's music and career check out his site www.ericknightonline.com

0 comments: