Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Special Feature: Poly Styrene of the X-Ray Spex



By: Sarah S.

This interview was completed a few weeks before the untimely loss of punk-rock sweetheart, Poly Styrene. She is greatly missed by all. I feel immensely lucky to have had the chance to ask her a few questions before her passing and truly cherish this interview most out of all that I've conducted.



Ÿ  Poly Styrene: punk rock pioneer! How have you been?

I’m ok and just dealing with the cancer I have.

Ÿ  We’ve heard about your unfortunate diagnosis with Cancer. We’re all praying for the speediest of recoveries for you and sending all our love. Can you tell us how this battle has affected you? Good and bad?

Ahh Thank you.  Its obviously a huge shock, but I’m trying to stay positive.  There is lesson to be learnt from every experience in life.

Ÿ  I’m utterly ecstatic that you’re releasing your solo album, “Generation Indigo”, on march 28th.  How does it feel to be releasing a whole new album to a whole new generation of listeners?

I’m really happy to have been able to put this body of work out in the world.  I think its an upbeat fun album and I hope that people will find it the same way.

Ÿ  What is “Virtual Boyfriend”, the new single off your upcoming release, all about?

Well, it’s a fun twist on modern relationships and I’m just making a comment.  They can sometimes end before even starting really. Some people get dumped by a text or on email now, it happened to a friend of mine and I don’t think that’s so cool.  We need to be careful we don’t lose too much human contact.
On the upside, the internet is perhaps a safer place to date in a way.

Ÿ  Which songs off of “Generation Indigo”  are your favorites and why?

I really like ‘I Luv Ur Sneakers’, ‘Code Pink Dub’, Colour Blind’, and really happy with the way ‘Electric Blue Monsoon’ came out in the end.

Ÿ  Are you planning on touring after this release?

I hope so, but I can’t plan anything at this stage until I can get better.

Ÿ  You helped fuel a punk rock revolution with The X-ray Spex. In retrospect, how would you sum up that experience?

X-ray Spex was a fun time in my life, it was very exciting raising the energy levels of lots of people through music.  We always used to call X-ray Spex hi energy and it was always uplifting and exhilarating to be a part of it.

Ÿ  How do you feel about music today?

I tend to not listen to much music as I don’t want to get influenced in my songwriting, but I was watching the Brit awards a little while ago and I thought there were some who had good voices.

Ÿ  Do you think that female-fronted music has changed for the better, or that women in the industry are still being “too careful”?

I think that its very individual, you can’t really generalise, they’re all artists, some women, some men and they’re all trying to entertain.

Ÿ  If you could see any one music movement of the past revisited, what would it be and why?

1960s protest movement, because it was a time when people were really trying to change the world through music, maybe naïve but it was positive.

Ÿ  What are you currently listening to?

Hare Krishna meditational music, it helps my soul.

What advice would you give to aspiring musicians?

Its very individual dependent, not an easy route, but if you’re inspired to do it, why not give it a go, if it brings joy to people. 

Ÿ  What is in the future for Poly Styrene?

Right now, I’m just concentrating on getting better and hope to be able to perform my new album some time in the future.

0 comments: