Sunday, January 3, 2010

Q&A: Filmmaker Joshua Winch

When I first met Joshua, we discussed him directing a music video for one of my songs. Although that hasn't happened yet, he's becoming quite successful with his own projects, the big one so far being the film "The Devil's Gravestone" (www.thedevilsgravestonemovie.com). He's always involved with something, and even was involved with a Men's television show (www.mendotalk.com) and got me invited on the show for a little conversation and fun. We've kept in touch and I nailed him down for a lil' email Q&A about movies and somesuch. Read on and find out more!

Q: Tell us how you got started in filmmaking. What attracted you to it, and what did you like about it?

JW: Well I went to NY to be an actor...and they told me theatre wasn't right for me but I had a good look and good talent...So, film was the logical next step...I have always loved movies...and I have always wanted to be an entertainer...It is really hard work, long demanding days for just a few seconds, maybe a couple of minutes of film...but when it is done and someone likes it...Those long days don't matter anymore

Q: With digital technology filmmaking is now open to almost anyone with a good computer and a camcorder. How do you feel about the changes taking place in the industry, and is the internet going to destroy the massive moneymaking potential the movie industry has had over the years like it did for the music industry?

JW: Well being an indie film producer as well as an actor, I am very thankful for the advances in technology...we can make a cheaper but yet better project...that allows us a much greater chance of getting our work seen. Hollywood will never be taken down...they are going to make their money but...for those of us that don't already have a foot in the door, the internet and digital filming process can definetly help us get exposure, get our ideas, and work out there. The most inventive films with the most original ideas aren't coming out of Hollywood but...the biggest money makers are , and will continue to for a long long time

Q: What are some of your favourite films that have inspired you, or that you just plain dig, and why?

JW: Wow, you know that is a great question because film is subjective...I have always loved classic movies Bogart, Newman, Brando, but then we go into Deniro, Pacino... As far as being inspired as a filmmaker...Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarrantino, and Robert Rodriguez...have been very inspiring because they started out as Hollywood outsiders who made the most of their actors, imaginations, and very low budgets

Q: Who are some of your favourite actors and actresses, and why?

JW: My favorite actors and actresses are really the ones from the golden age of Hollywood. However we have some wonderful actors today...Johnny Depp, Gina Gershon, Gary Oldman,...you know the actors that pick and choose their roles wisely and always seem to leave an impression

Q: What sort of cinematography do you appreciate and how does that affect a film, for those who don't realize it?

JW: Well, I always like a crisp clean picture...even when a scene is supposed to be dark and dirty...I want it to pop... You can tell the best story in the world, but if it doesn't have the right pictures to go with it...your audience won't remember it...it just that simple

Q: How important can lighting, or lack thereof, be for a film?

JW: I think that goes hand in hand with the cinematography question...you need your set or location to pop...by that I mean you need to see it...really see it...Lighting is easily over looked, but it can really make or break your shoot

Q: Is too much emphasis placed on creating sellable soundtracks for films nowadays?

JW: Hollywood is huge on this...sometimes even to the point of overshadowing a film...music is the sound track of our lives...and this needs to work with your film, not against it, or overshadow it...it is great when you can make money on both ends like Singles or The Crow, both great movies and sound tracks. Sell the movie=Sell the sound track, but sometimes a movie doesn't need JT or Beyonce and most often they are better off without them

Q: Would you rather work with digital or with real film and why?

JW: I love the versitility digital gives you, film is harder and more expensive to work with...that being said I never turn down working with film

Q: What are some of the challenges filmmakers face that the public really has no clue about?

JW: Well everything...the Hollywood image makes people think that making a film is easy, fun, and will get you fame and glory. For most of us it is many months or even years of planning, budgeting, scouting locations, building sets, finding a crew, casting, shooting, and then months of editing.

Q: What do you personally like to listen to as far as music and bands?

JW: I am very eclectic in my music tastes, My mp3 player has a millions songs everything from Marvin Gaye to Darlington [thanks for the shout-out- haha] ...you aren't gonna pin me down on a style or a band but....I do love some music none the less

Q: What are the past film projects you've done that are near and dear to your heart, and why?

JW: Well Street Creatures is near and dear to my heart because it was my first feature and I met one of my best friends in the whole world Mr. Jay M. Roach, who I have worked together with on many projects since then. I also am have a soft spot for Sex Machine...I met so many great people at Asphalt Planet...gosh it was almost like summer camp

Q: What are you currently working on, film-wise, and what do you have planned for the future?

JW: I am working on The Devil's Gravestone
future projects......are up in the air right now...my main focus is The Devil's Gravestone...this is by far the biggest project I have ever produced and so I have put alot of effort into making sure we stay on the right track

Q: What other projects do you have your fingerprints on?

JW: Wow, you know I have been doing this for over twelve years now so I have been apart of numerous commercials, short films, plays, and just a few feature length projects...but as for recently... I did a short film called Debt, a play called Sideman, and through all that The Devil's Gravestone has remained my main focus

Q: Where do you see the industry headed in the next 5 years?

JW: Hollywood is righting the ship, the business of making movies will be as strong as ever......but with the internet, netflix, redbox, computers and digital HD cams you will a lot more indies. This is very exciting to me...a new frontier of film makers and actors hitting us with original, entertaining ideas.

contact Joshua thru www.roachfilm.com

0 comments: